Thursday, August 4, 2011

Kick

My most prized possession in Tanzania thus far has been my footie boots.  I brought them on recommendation from the previous SharedSolar consultant after I asked if I'd be able to get in on some kick.  As it turns out I've joined a team here.  Been training every day around 5:30, Saturday is match day around the same time.  Won the match this past Saturday, 3-1.  Been alternating between a holding midfield role and striker.  While my team has gotten used to my whiteness (and even ask why I've missed a practice or two) the opposing squads are still hesitant about a mzungu's ability to play kick.  Allow me to boast that my demonstrations on the pitch shatter their expectations.  Last night at training I lost my mark with a dash to the near post and headed in a corner upper 90.  Sick.  Still need to figure out the right Swahili words to organize the back four; they're a hot mess.  I'll try and get some better photos soon.
The boots.

The pitch.
Even acknowledging his clunky lack of athleticism Abdul failed to stick this one in for reasons passing understanding.  Note positions of ball, keeper, and Abdul (Barca jersey in front of goal).


One of these ballers is not like the other...

1 comment: